Wayne Township District 7:
Wayne Township’s District 7 schoolhouse seems to have been known predominantly by number and didn’t appear to have a colloquial name. In 1866, the building sat on 160 acres of land owned by the Huntzinger family that spanned both sides of Cyntheanne Road (Warner, 1866). Judging by the buildings appearance compared to its peers, the extant structure probably replaced a log or frame building during the 1890s.
The Districts 7 and 9 schoolhouses closed following Wayne Township’s 1919-20 school term (Hamilton, 1919). The District 7 schoolhouse was sold, along with the abandoned Districts 1, 2, and 8 schools, at auction in 1940 (Notice, 1940).
The Ola Mussleman grove across Cyntheanne Road was home to reunions of former District 7 students from the 1940s through the 1960s (School, 1948). In 1992, the old schoolhouse made an appearance on an “Endangered List” of historic structures exhibited at the Noblesville-Southeastern Public Library (Extinction, 1992).
Nevertheless, new owners refurbished the old District 7 school into a dwelling around the turn of the century (Hamilton, 2001). It remains a home today.
Warner, C. S. (1866). Map of Hamilton county, Indiana. atlas. C.A.O. McClellen & C.S. Warner.
Hamilton County Public Schools (1919). Teacher’s directory: names and addresses of officers and teachers of Hamilton County Public Schools, 1929-1930. Noblesville, IN.
Notice of Sale of Township Abandoned School Properties (1940, March 18). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 5.
School No. 7 (1948, September 8). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 4.
Extinction possible (1992, November 5). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 5.
Hamilton County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2022). Parcel ID: 12-12-05-00-00-009.000. Hamilton County, Indiana Assessor. map, Noblesville, IN.