Wayne Township District 12:
A schoolhouse has stood at the southwestern corner of what are now Cyntheanne Road and East 156th Street since at least 1866, when the District 12 school -known as Fairview- was located on land owned by the Stanford family. The building was of frame construction at least as of the 1892-93 school term (Clarity, 1962), a year before one of the most dramatic and tragic accidents to occur in Hamilton County occurred on its site.
That October, the teacher instructed several of the school’s older students to help roll an enormous log from the middle of the sloping schoolyard to its outer borders. Though most other younger students kept away from the accelerating piece of timber, six-year-old Willie Stanford ran after it in order to try and ride it. Unfortunately, he tripped over the log and was crushed headfirst (A Sad, 1893).
As Wayne Township’s southeastern-most schoolhouse, the District 12 school was closed after the 1909-10 school year (Hamilton, 1909).
Today, the building is abandoned.
Warner, C. S. (1866). Map of Hamilton county, Indiana. atlas. C.A.O. McClellen & C.S. Warner.
Clarity of 70-Year-Old Picture Defies Time (1962, June 23). The Noblesville Ledger. p. 6.
A Sad Accident (1893, October 27). The Hamilton County Ledger [Noblesville]. p. 1.
Hamilton County Public Schools (1909). Teacher’s directory: names and addresses of officers and teachers of Hamilton County Public Schools, 1909-1910. Noblesville, IN.