White River Township District 9:
Randolph County’s District 9 school was completed in 1861 and stands on the west side of North Main Street, just west of West 3rd Street. In 1870, it was combined with the District 13 school, which stood on Greenville Pike about a quarter of a mile east of what’s now South County Road 125-East (Warner, 1865).
The District 9 school was removed from the township’s roster and added to Winchester’s school system in 1873 (Hinshaw, 2008). Three years later, a new schoolhouse at Unionport was assigned the vacant district number (Unionport, 1893).
Today, the structure still stands, remodeled into a home.
Warner, C.S (1865). 1865 Wall-Map of Randolph County. C.A.O. McClellan & C.S. Warner. Waterloo, Indiana. map.
Hinshaw, G. (2008). A History of Education in Randolph County, Indiana. Retrieved February 13, 2022.
Unionport Items (1893, August 9). The Winchester Journal.