White River Township District 2:
and at the southwest corner of what’s now East County Road 300-North and North County Road 100-East was purchased as a site for White River Township’s District 2 schoolhouse in 1847 (Hinshaw, 2008). By 1865, the schoolhouse was located at the northeast corner of the intersection, on land owned by a D. Holdeman (Warner, 1865).
By 1882, the Huffman family owned the 79.5 acres that surrounded the schoolhouse (Tucker, 1882). The structure was commonly known as both Holdeman and Huffman.
Though its patrons filed suit to keep the District 2 schoolhouse open (News, 1912), the District 2 school closed in 1912 in order for its students to attend the recently-erected, consolidated McKinley school two-and-a-half miles south of the building.
The abandoned schoolhouse was sold two years later (Hinshaw). Apparently, it was moved across the road to the northwest corner of the intersection in 1915, where it was converted into a home (Randolph, 2022).
Hinshaw, G. (2008). A History of Education in Randolph County, Indiana. Retrieved February 13, 2022.
Warner, C.S (1865). 1865 Wall-Map of Randolph County. C.A.O. McClellan & C.S. Warner. Waterloo, Indiana. map.
Tucker, E. (1882). History of Randolph County, Indiana. book. Chicago, IL; A.L. Kingman.
News from the Court House (1912, September 25). The Winchester Herald.
Randolph County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2022). Parcel ID: 68-09-04-400-025.000-020. Randolph County, Indiana Assessor. map, Winchester, IN.