West River Township District 2:
The town of Buena Vista was first recorded in 1851, and its first store followed three years later. As of 1882, the town was home to two stores, a smithy, a saw mill, a tile factory, a wagon shop, a church, a post office, fifteen houses, and seventy-five people (Tucker, 1882). The post office was known as Cerro Gordo (Greene, 1965).
In 1865, the Buena Vista schoolhouse -West River Township District 2- sat on the land of Robert Sumner Starbuck, on the east side of what’s now South County Road 500-West just south of Farquiner Ditch (Warner, 1965).
The schoolhouse closed in 1906. It was sold two years later and was moved about a mile south to Clyde Hunt’s farm to be used as a barn (Hinshaw, 2008). Today, the school still stands on the farm, used for agricultural purposes.
Tucker, E. (1882). History of Randolph County, Indiana. book. Chicago, IL; A.L. Kingman.
Greene, D. (1965, January 30). Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood. The Muncie Star. p. 4.
Warner, C.S (1865). 1865 Wall-Map of Randolph County. C.A.O. McClellan & C.S. Warner. Waterloo, Indiana. map.
Hinshaw, G. (2008). A History of Education in Randolph County, Indiana. Retrieved February 13, 2022.