Monroe Township District 1:
Not much is known about the Connor schoolhouse that served District 1 of Monroe Township. It was named after the Connor family which originally deeded its land, but by 1874 the school -which never moved- was on the land of J.S. Bunsell (Griffing, 1874).
In addition to the name Connor, the schoolhouse was also commonly referred to as the Sixty school, for reasons unknown (Hinshaw, 2008).
In 1914, the students of District 2 -known as Hickory Grove, three miles west (Tucker, 1882)- were sent to the District 1 school during a period of consolidation (Hinshaw).
The District 1 school closed two years later, when its students were sent to the District 9 school at Farmland, completed in 1909 at a cost of $34,000 (New, 1909).
Joint reunions held between Connor and Hickory Grove were conducted at least through yer 1930s at the Green Township Consolidated school several miles north of Farmland (Hickory, 1936). Today, the Monroe Township District 1: Connor or Sixty school has been added to and is currently used as a tool shed. It is only recognizable given its location and the general silhouette of its original massing, which is to the left in the provided photo.
Griffing, B. N. (1874). Stony Creek Township. An atlas of Randolph County, Indiana . map, Philadelphia, PA; Griffing, Gordon, & Company.
Hinshaw: District 1. Received Hickory Grove students in 1914. Closed 1916 and transferred to Farmland.
Tucker, E. (1882). History of Randolph County, Indiana. book. Chicago, IL; A.L. Kingman.
New Farmland School Opens Monday (1909, October 3). The Muncie Sunday Star. p. 6.
Hickory Grove-Connor School (1936, August 31). The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram. p. 5.