Pipe Creek Township District 5:
In 1880, Pipe Creek Township’s District 5 schoolhouse was located about an eighth of a mile east of the present-day intersection of North County Road 900-West and West County Road 900-North (both parts of the Elwood & Frankton Pike), on the land of C. Quick and Company (Kingman, 1880). The school was not visible on a map produced twenty-one years later, although William R. Hawkins owned the land, 160 acres, immediately north of its former location while Jasper Huffman owned the land it was situated on.
Apparently, the schoolhouse took its name from William Hawkins (Jackson, 2021), and the present District 5 school was erected at some point during 1880 and 1901, when it evidently closed.
It seems as though the schoolhouse was reestablished prior to 1904, when Emma Jackley was the teacher (In, 1904).
Newspaper references to an active Hawkins School end around 1906-1908, so it seems as if the school was one of Pipe Creek Township’s earliest to close. Despite that, the thoroughfare that passes it was called the Hawkins School Road up through 1917, and possibly even today (Places, 1917) by locals.
Today, the building has been added to and is a home.
Kingman Brothers. (1880). History of Madison County, Indiana with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches. Chicago, IL.
Atlas and Directory of Madison County, Indiana (1901). The American Atlas Company. Cleveland. map.
Jackson, S. T. (2021, August 9). Madison County schoolhouses. email.
In The Country Schools of Pipecreek (1904, February 9). The Elwood Daily Record. p. 1.
Places to Register (1917, June 4). The Elwood Call-Leader, p. 7.