Monroe Township District 10:
William Summers deeded the land for the original District 10 schoolhouse, a log cabin, in 1857 (Fairview School, 1925). After a year, the log building was displaced by a frame building, and in 1889 the frame school was moved across the road to become a church when a brick schoolhouse was built on its original site (Fairview, 1925).
The Fairview/Summers school closed in 1923 after a consolidated school at Orestes was constructed to absorb the one-room schoolhouses of western Monroe Township (Orestes, 2003). That year, students of the former schoolhouse planned to hold their first reunion. 1927 brought a joint reunion between the Fairview, Olive Branch, and King’s schoolhouses at Gooding Grove, a mile west of Fairview (Reunion, 1927). At the time, residents of the area planned to purchase Fairview from the township in order to use the abandoned schoolhouse as a community center.
Today, the building appears to either sit abandoned or be used for farm storage.
Fairview School Home-Coming All Day Sunday (1925, May 26). The Alexandria Times-Tribune. p. 1
Fairview School to Hold Reunion Sunday, May 24 (1925, May 22). The Alexandria Times-Tribune. p. 1.
Orestes Consolidated School built 1923 (Orestes, 2003). Closed at the end of the 2003 school year (Fuschetto, 2003).
Reunion Sunday Will Attract Large Crowd (1927, June 11). The Alexandria Times-Tribune. p. 1.