Anderson Township District 2:
Built in 1879 (Madison, 2021). Anderson Township’s District 2 school -later known as District 9- was most often called Toll Gate, after a toll gate located nearby at the intersection of Alexandria Pike and what was once known as Goodykoontz Road (Former, 1961). In 1922, the District 1: Hughel school burned down, and its students were sent to Toll Gate (Former).
A new Toll Gate school was built in 1927 and was hastily renamed Lindbergh after the famous aviator, a designation that Goodykoontz or Toll Gate Road also received (Larson, 1977). In the 1940s, the road was renamed “Lindberg,” without the ‘H’, due to the antiwar sentiment of its namesake (Bailey, 2011).
For years after the school closed, the building served as the Toll Gate Inn (Ask, 1930), a restaurant. Today, the building is a house. The Lindbergh School that replaced it closed in 1982. It still stands, abandoned.
Madison County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2021). Parcel ID: 48-12-07-202-002.000-003.
Former Student Recalls Hughel (Family) School (1961, May 6). The Anderson Daily Bulletin. p. 4.
Larson, K. (1977, May 15). Sixth Graders Honor Lindbergh. The Anderson Herald. p. 12.
Bailey, J. (2011, January 29). Lindberg Road station may have been first quick-stop. The Herald Bulletin. Retrieved October 14, 2021, from https://www.heraldbulletin.com/opinion/columns/jim-bailey-lindberg-road-station-may-have-been-first-quick-stop/article_1d63f84b-f6b2-592d-ba53-f78a1cc8e339.html.
Ask Receiver For New Toll Gate Inn (1930, November 7). The Alexandria Times-Tribune. p. 4.