Anderson Township District 11:
The District 11: Eggman schoolhouse was built in 1866. That year, the Bethel Church was founded as a Sunday school, meeting in the schoolhouse itself (Bethel, 1964). After its closure, the schoolhouse became a parsonage for Bethel’s frame sanctuary built in 1888 at the southwest corner of West 38th Street Road and South Layton Road (Bethel).
In 1874, it was one of five brick schoolhouses in Anderson Township (Harden, 1874) and took its name from the Eggman family, on whose land it was originally located. The Eggmans and Daniel Wertz, who owned the land in 1880, were instrumental in founding the Bethel Church (Kingman, 1880).
Today, the school is a home. As of 2021, it is being renovated and restored by a new owner.
Bethel Methodist Church Achieves Two Goals In Expansion Program (1964, January 19). The Anderson Herald. p. 6.
Harden, S. (1874). History of Madison County, Indiana, from 1820 to 1874. book. Markleville, IN.
Kingman Brothers. (1880). History of Madison County, Indiana with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches. Chicago, IL.