Fall Creek Township District 5:
Fall Creek Township’s District 5: Lukens school was built in 1889 at the northwestern corner of what’s now South County Road 300-West and West County Road 1000-South, though a predecessor built in 1876 as one of Fall Creek Township’s first brick schools (Forkner & Dyson, 1914) sat on the site prior to that time (Kingman, 1880). The school received its common name after William A. Lukens, who deeded its land to the township (Forkner & Dyson).
In 1906, the District 5 school was consolidated into the larger District 3 schoolhouse at Spring Valley about three and a half miles northeast (Elwood, 1906). The Spring Valley schoolhouse closed in the late 1920s as the second-to-last schoolhouse in Fall Creek Township to consolidate into Pendleton (Old, 1933).
After its closure, the Lukens school was renovated into a home. Its roofline was altered in the 1950s as a result of storm damage and it has been added to several times beginning in the 1970s (Wyatt, 2019).
Forkner, J. & Dyson, B. (1914). Historical Sketches and Reminiscences of Madison County, Indiana. book. Anderson, IN.
Kingman Brothers. (1880). History of Madison County, Indiana with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches. Chicago, IL.
Elwood Is Leading In School Enumeration As Might Have Been Anticipated (1906, May 18). The Elwood Call-Leader. p. 3.
Old School Sold (1933, September 18). The Alexandria Times-Tribune. p. 1.
Wyatt, D. If you grew up in Pendleton, IN. (2019, January 21). We lived in the old Luken”s school house, at 300 west and 1000 south. It had been remodeled in the [Comment]. Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/197027807024063/search/?q=schoolhouse.