Hamilton Twp. District 6
It’s believed that Thomas Weir taught the first District 6 school. In 1855, a frame schoolhouse was built at the southwest corner of the present-day intersection of North Everett Road and West Moore Road (Helm, 1881). It burned in 1867. In 1868 a new school was built (School, 1881) to replace it.
A newer Jake’s Creek school was located about 3/4 of a mile north on the land of William Ginn, who donated the plot to the Hamilton School Township on December 23, 1881 for a total of fifty dollars (Delaware, 1881).
In 1885, John Minton deeded the original schoolhouse’s land to the trustees of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church (Delaware, 1885). The church was erected that year, and it appears to be a schoolhouse but it’s not.
The name of the school came from a creek near its original location that was named after Indian Jake Moscow or Musco, who was the father of the locally-famous Indian Jim and one of the last Delaware Indians in the county (Greene, 1963).
Hamilton Township quickly consolidated its schools, and District 6 was closed in 1903, when its students were driven to the school at Royerton (Delaware, 1904).
Helm, T. B. (1881). Mount Pleasant Township. In History of Delaware County, Indiana: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers (pp. 268–269). book, Kingman Brothers.
School history (1881, March 7). The Muncie Daily Times. p. 2.
Delaware County, Indiana. (1885, October 23). Deed Book 56. p. 66.
Delaware County, Indiana. (1881 October 23). Deed Book 49. p. 254.
Greene, D. (1963, April 12). Seen and Heard in Our Neighborhood. The Muncie Star Press. p. 6.
Delaware County Public Schools. (1904). School directory, Delaware County public schools, Delaware County, Indiana 1904-1905. Muncie, IN.