Hamilton Twp. District 10
Common name unknown
Though Helm listed the schoolhouse at Royerton as District 10 in 1881, a redistricting occurred that made it number 8. In 1897, Milton Hamilton deeded a portion of his land on Riggin Road to the Hamilton and Center School Townships (Delaware, 1897). Shortly after, a schoolhouse was erected as Hamilton Township’s new district 10 (Ellis, 1898). It’s unclear as to whether or not the schoolhouse had a common name. Some were just referred to by district.
As per Hamilton’s unique grant, students from both Center and Hamilton townships attended class there. Unfortunately, the schoolhouse was only open for four years before it was abandoned. In 1901, Hamilton Township patrons of the school petitioned Trustee Bloss to be conveyed to the school at Royerton, which they were. One of the last teachers at the District 10 school was D.M. Lovett (A Country, 1900).
Without a schoolhouse, Center Township Trustee Dragoo was forced to arrange his pupils to attend school at Riverside (The Consolidating, 1903) just north of Muncie. Center Township students from the old District 10 school were then sent to Whitely during the 1905-06 school term (Kemper, 1908).
In 1938, the Hamilton Park addition was platted around the schoolhouse (White, 1938). In 1943, George H. Trego purchased the schoolhouse, restoring it as a home (Wingrove, 1971).
Helm, T. B. (1881). Mount Pleasant Township. In History of Delaware County, Indiana: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers (pp. 268–269). book, Kingman Brothers.
Delaware County, Indiana. (1897 July 26). Deed Book 90. p. 501.
Ellis, J. (1898, July 13). Our County. The Muncie Morning News. p. 6.
A Country Commencement. (1900, July 30). The Muncie Daily Times. p. 4.
The consolidating of Delaware County schools progresses. (1903, June 28). The Muncie Morning Star. p. 9.
Kemper, G. W. H. (1908). Education in Delaware County. In A Twentieth Century History of Delaware County, Indiana, Volume 1 (Vol. 1, p. 252). book, Lewis Publishing Company.
White, P. (1938, July 13). Hamilton Park Addition. Delaware County Office of Information & GIS Services. plat map, Muncie, IN.
Wingrove, B. (1971, September 5). The Huxholds Live in a Four-Year-Old ‘Dream’. The Muncie Star. p. 11.