Washington Township District 9:
In 1923, the District 9: Watson school -taught by Olivia Bugh- became Washington Township’s last operating one-room schoolhouse when the six-room Washington School opened in District 8 (Output, 1923). The schoolhouse operated as late as 1927, when its students achieved the highest attendance rate, 99.71%, of any school in the county (Hartford, 1927).
The students of the Watson schoolhouse were often pace-setters when it came to attendance. Their 100% rate in 1922 contributed to Blackford County’s highest-ever total- 98.36% in all of its rural schools (Record, 1922).
After its closure, the District 9: Watson school was altered to serve as a home.It appears to have had its roof lowered and has been added to on its east and west fronts.
Output Declines In Window Glass (1923, August 13). The Muncie Star Press. p. 5.
Hartford City (1927, November 12). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 11.
Record Is Broken In Rural Schools (1922, October 26). The Muncie Star Press. p. 6.