Washington Township District 8:

Lillibridge/Washington Township Consolidated School

Photo taken September 1, 2021. From the author’s collection.

The extant Washington Township schoolhouse was built in 1923 (Dr. Moyer, 1923). Its completion was hampered by a difficult construction process delayed due to a railroad strike that limited the supply of bricks (Strike, 1922) as well as a damaging wind storm (Hartford, 1922). 

The school -consisting of six rooms, a heating plant, and basement- cost $30,000 and was built by J.F. Wilde & Company from Indianapolis (School, 1922). It replaced the District 8: Lillibridge schoolhouse, which was sold along with the abandoned District 1: Ratliff school in 1924 (Montpelier, 1924). The Lillibridge name came from a prominent family of local farmers who likely originally deeded its land.

In 1938, the Washington School took on several students from the Licking Township District 1: Bailey school, which burned down the previous winter (School, 1939). Five years later, the Washington School absorbed the students of the Licking Township District 2: Gadbury school, which also burned (Gadbury, 1943).

The Washington Township school closed in 1953 and its students were sent to a larger structure at Roll (Blackford, 1955), which became the Washington Township school before its closure after the 1961-62 school year (McBride, 1996).

After the Lillibridge/Washington Township school closed, it was used as a warehouse for Criss, Incorporated. In 1974, the roof was ripped off in a tornado, causing $100,000 in damage (Storm, 1974). 

Today, the building’s former status as a schoolhouse is not obvious.


Dr. Moyer Dies At Montpelier (1923, January 25). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 3.

Strike Holds Up Building (1922, August 17). The Muncie Star Press. p. 4.

Hartford City Notes (1922, August 30). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 7.

School Head At Hartford City Plans To Leave (1922, May 5). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 2.

Montpelier (1924, July 17). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 7.

Strike Holds Up Building (1922, August 17). The Muncie Star Press. p. 4.

School Petition Is Turned Down (1939, July 26). The Muncie Star. p. 4.

Gadbury Pupil Shift Arranged (1943, January 17). The Muncie Star. p. 6.

Blackford County Trustee to Sell School Building (1955, October 30). The Muncie Star Press. p. 36.

McBride, M. (1996, October 14). Roll – it rhymes with doll. The Muncie Star Press. p. 19.

Storm Damage Clean-Up Begins at Warehouse (1974, January 29). The Muncie Star Press. p. 3.