Licking Township District 7:
In 1905, Licking Township’s District 7 schoolhouse sat on a section of land owned by G.W. Hughes. Naturally, it received its common name from this association (Hixson, 1905).
Not much is known about the Hughes school. In 1908, Finley Geiger -a former Blackford County Superintendent of Schools of ten years- returned to the classroom as teacher of the District 7 schoolhouse (Back, 1908).
The District 7: Hughes school seems to have been closed around 1910 (Thieves, 1910), and it does not appear on a map showing rural free mail delivery that was published the next year (Map, 1911).
In 1912, N.W. Atkinson and his wife filed suit to quiet title against Licking Township as the District 7 building and grounds were no longer being used for educational purposes after the average attendance had dropped below twelve students (Suit, 1912) per a state law ratified in 1907 (Law, 1907). Shortly after, the building was converted into a home.
Hixson, W.W. (1905). Blackford County, Ind. map. Map Collection, Indiana Division, Indiana State Library.
Back In Old Traces (1908, January 30). The Muncie Star. p. 5.
Thieves Busy In The Country (1910, April 29). The Muncie Star. p. 12.
Map of Blackford County, Indiana showing rural delivery service (1911). The United States Post Office Department. Map Collection, Indiana Division, Indiana State Library.
Suit to Quiet Title (1912, January 22). The Muncie Star. p. 7.
Law Will Close School (1907, April 13). The Muncie Star. p. 10.