Licking Township District 6:

Jennings

Photo taken May 4, 2021. From the author’s collection.

In 1905 the District 6: Jennings School was located on land carved out of Calvin Curtis’ twelve-acre plot (Hixson, 1905), although the school as an institution dates to much earlier: In 1862, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Clark were married in the middle of what’s now South County Road 200-West in front of the original District 6 schoolhouse immediately after a spelling bee had been held (Fifty-third, 1915). 

The extant building was built in 1894 per its lintel. Evidently, the schoolhouse was still in use as of 1915, when classes were taught there by Kate Curtis (Eaton, 1915). Though not much information exists about this place, we do know that the District 6 school closed at some point prior to the 1918 school year, when eight schools in Licking Township were reported to be in operation (Teachers, 1918). 

Today the abandoned school appears to be used for agricultural storage. 

References

Hixson, W.W. (1905). Blackford County, Ind. map. Map Collection, Indiana Division, Indiana State Library. 

Fifty-Third Wedding Anniversary Observed (1915, May 20). The Muncie Evening Press. p. 8.

Eaton (1915, March 2). The Muncie Star. p. 5.

Teachers in Townships (1918, September 2). The Muncie Star. p. 4.