Harrison Township District 1:
The extant District 1: Waugh schoolhouse was built around 1900 (Blackford, 2021), likely to replace a frame structure. It took its common name from the family who deeded its land to the township, but in 1905 it sat on the land of Jonathan G. Woods (Hixson, 1905).
In 1916, the west side and roof of the schoolhouse were destroyed in a wind storm, so classes were moved to the Nora Burson house nearby (Montpelier, 1916) until repairs could be made.
It appears as though the Waugh schoolhouse was discontinued after the 1923 school year, along with Blackford, Hoover, and Pleasantdale in preparation for the township schoolhouses and city schools of Montpelier to combine (To, 1924). Later that year, the school was sold for $252 to Sam Wearly (Sale, 1924).
In later years, the old Waugh Schoolhouse was used as a a poling place during political elections (Montpelier, 1934). Today, it appears to serve as a detached garage of sorts for the house that sits just north of it.
Blackford County Office of Information & GIS Services. (2021). Parcel ID: 001-00355-00.
Hixson, W.W. (1905). Blackford County, Ind. map. Map Collection, Indiana Division, Indiana State Library.
Montpelier Notes (1916, March 25). The Muncie Star. p. 9.
Sale of Abandoned Schools Bring $1,575 (1924, July 30). The Muncie Star. p. 9.
Montpelier (1934, October 5). The Muncie Star Press. p. 3.